Monday, April 28, 2008

Awesome Bookclub yesterday! Pickled things!



Bookclub was so fun and very yummy yesterday, thanks to Anastasia's wonderful cooking and even more delicious (who'd have guessed?) horseradish-infused vodka! Unfortunately, as usual, we didn't think to take pictures until after most of brunch was consumed. Also, I think that I left the camera on night-mode from earlier in the weekend, and as a result the pictures are a little blurry. Know what wasn't blurry, though? Our incisive commentary on the book and our sharp wits that even the booze couldn't blunt. It was a long, relaxing Russian Orthodox Easter Sunday for all of us. Um, I can't really think of much else to report, so i'm going to include one last picture i just found on my phone, of Alexis' scary cat from time before last:

Oh, and May bookclub will take place in Prospect Heights at Marc's.

Anastasia or anyone else, please feel free to add more details to the blog about our meeting of bookclub stalwarts yesterday.

EDIT: I almost forgot!!! We also learned about a totally cuddly but slightly melancholy friend of Anastasia's from the old country. His name is Cheburashka and she translated a song he sings about himself for us. Sorry you missed it? Pretend you were there, minus the live translation services she rendered, and cry a small tear, after clicking here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9ZRcgRm4ds.

10 comments:

Megan said...

You know, anastasia, while listening to your little friend's plaintive song, i was reminded of why he seemed familiar to me! Our childhood's answer to your Cheburashka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3cNTl40VI&feature=related

(Monchichis seem slightly more upbeat than che. See evidence in this short but revealing clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk3e6hz7XPk&feature=related )

USA! USA!

Ami said...

Mmm. Those horseradish martinis were delicious.

Marc said...

Despite not liking the book, I'm glad the book brought up topics we kept returning to during the course of the afternoon.

Anastasia said...

I am so glad you could make it - it was wonderful having you over, and I am looking forward to our next read!

Anastasia said...

I am so glad you could make it - it was wonderful having you over, and I am looking forward to our next read!

Shek Baker said...

That horseradish vodka was too good. I nominate this book club as having the most distance between the quality of the food (superb) and that of the book.

Megan said...

Did we mention? we liked the vodka. a little.

Alexis S. said...

Ack, I'm so sad I missed this amazing vodka. And also, my cat is not scary!!!

Megan said...

Are you serious? He wears his coat inside-out and has laser beam eyes, obviously!

Shek, I am tasking you with recreating the vodka and bringing it to next bookclub.

Shek Baker said...

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...it doesn't seem appropriate to the source material? How about some nice beach cocktails with rum, tequila and such?