Wednesday, December 19, 2007

January book club: brooklyn again!

I hope no one minds if we do an adult read for next month (kidding, Josh...who could have known that a colorful picture book was actually intended for children? Crazy).

Anyway, since I'm a short story fan and I grew up in the DC area, I'm going with All Aunt Hagar's Children, the most recent story collection by Washington author Edward P. Jones. You'll know him from his Motherfucking Pulitzer Prize.

I can only find an Amazon link to the LARGE PRINT paperback version, but trust me, it is around in regular paper back. It looks like this:



Not sure you want to tackle almost 400 pages of the working class black experience in 20th century DC? No prob...read one or two stories and you're good to go, just like in college.

I'm scheduling the meeting for Sunday, January 27th...for those of you who might be worried, that's the week after MLK Day (and the Conference Championships) and the week before the Super Bowl. For once, you won't have to choose between a three day weekend, football, and the book club.

Ahem! For the second time, the club will be in South Slope Brooklyn, with the address and exact meeting time to follow via email. I would also like to add that I'm really excited about the menu.

2 comments:

Ami said...

Maybe there will be eggnog??

Anonymous said...

Hi-

Is this club open to new members? I am new to the area and did some research on book clubs and this club looks like great.

Please let me know.

thanks-
bryanne cypress
bcypress@gmail.com