Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Because Booze is the Real High Value Item

Thanks, Ami, for making me an official contributor to the blog. I hope I don't go too mad with the ability to post. This first comment is rather short.

On Sunday afternoon I bought the book for December's meeeting. I've not started reading it. Flipping through it, there seems to be a lot of white space so I expect to complete my reading by Saturday night. I'm not sure if this sort of thing is allowed since most of you are in the publishing industry and book sales are what you're after but I'm willing to lend my copy to others anytime after Monday morning. I figured I'd make the book available to save someone else a few dollars or also aid any who are having trouble finding the book (it turns out those graphic novel sections at bookstores are in serious disarray). Leave a comment below and we can work out the transfer details.

8 comments:

Shek Baker said...

I ordered my copy used from an "Amazon Seller." It was immediately dispatched via pennyfarthing from Yellowknife, Northwest Territories - how else to explain an estimated delivery of "1-3 weeks (sometimes 4)"? Anyway, all it has to do it get here by Saturday the 15th, since this thing is gonna take like 45 minutes to read, right?

Marc said...

I know the only comic books that took me any time to read were various issues of Marvel Age.

Marc said...

I've yet to start reading the book. I take back what I said about it being available for lending starting Monday morning!

Ami said...

Seriously, though, you could totally read it on your lunch hour. It's that quick.

Marc said...

Oh, my lunch hour is dedicated to Page Six!

I got through 40% of the book on my commute this morning. This Monkey God thing is interesting - I'm going to have to go back and read the previous post in the blog.

Josh said...

Yeah, in hindsight I sort of regret picking a book that is such a quick read. My thinking was that people would want something light around the holidays, but perhaps I went too much in that direction?

Alas, it least it isn't a bad read. If people are looking for another book to tide them over, might I suggest the short story collection "Varieties of Disturbance" by Lydia Davis?

http://www.amazon.com/Varieties-Disturbance-Stories-Lydia-Davis/dp/0374281734

Ami said...

I think you did a great job choosing, Josh--it's our first graphic novel, which is cool. Also, it is a really busy time of year. I'm glad to not have to wade through War & Peace.

I have to say about the Lydia Davis book, though: it literally almost made me punch someone in the face on the 4 train; I was that annoyed.

Josh said...

Really? Wow! Now I definitely wish I had chosen that book!