Wednesday, November 28, 2007

American Born Chinese: Origins


As we get closer to the next book club meeting (December 16th), I hope that people have been picking up and enjoying Gene Yang's American Born Chinese!

Seeing as how the book features a sometimes surprising and unusual mix of Eastern and Western religions, I thought I would pass along this link. It features some interesting and illuminating explanations of Yang's motives both in creating this book and in deciding to offer his own take on the Monkey King legend.

Have people been enjoying the book? Anybody especially liked or hated it so far?

3 comments:

Megan said...

Thanks for the link, Josh!
The Christian/Western infusion to this Asian mythology was an angle I was really curious about, and this shed some light on what the author was trying to do.
I enjoyed the book, but I also think there's a lot to discuss- I'm definitely going to read it again before bookclub!

Josh said...

Yeah, I'm definitely going to give it a reread as well. I wish I had, like, a twelve-year-old asian boy to give this to as a Christmas present.

Ami said...

Just picked it up yesterday at Rocketship in Brooklyn...I don't think they were terribly impressed with my inability to remember Gene Yang's name. ; ) Comic book geeks.